Published 21 Aug 2023
Packed with all the vitamins and antioxidants to see you through the (hopefully) last of the cold weather, this hearty pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, and chickpea soup is a delicious addition to your recipe rotation. This recipe serves four.
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 500 grams Kent pumpkin, chopped (into around 3cm cubes)
- 450 grams sweet potato (around 1 medium), peeled and chopped
- 400 gram tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of stock paste (or 2 stock cubes)
- 600ml water
- 1 large saucepan or pot with a lid
- Dice the onion and set aside. Mince the garlic and set aside.
- Roughly chop the carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato and set aside.
- In the saucepan/pot, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook until softened, around 5 minutes. Then add garlic and spices and cook for another minute until it smells delicious.
- Add the chopped carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato, along with the stock and water. Bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and put a lid on the pot.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Drain the chickpeas, add to the pot and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup and serve with some crusty bread and sour cream (optional).