Switch to GMHBA
Switching is easy
1. Find the right cover for you and we'll do the paperwork.
We’ll cancel your old membership and request the transfer certificate from your old insurer.
2. You won't re-serve waiting periods*
Join on the same or lower level of cover within 30 days of your previous cover ceasing, and we'll recognise waiting periods served with your old insurer.
*Waiting periods apply for increased cover.
Why choose private health insurance with GMHBA
GMHBA partners with a number of organisations to support the health and wellbeing of our members and community.
Switching cover FAQs
Switching to GMHBA is easy. Join on the right cover for you, and with your permission, we can do the rest.
Simply provide your previous fund details during the sign-up process, and we will get in contact with them to cancel this cover for you. You choose the date you would like your new cover to begin and we will cancel your old cover from the same date, ensuring no gaps in your coverage.
You don't need to re-serve waiting periods when;
- You are switching to the same or lower level of cover and have served these waiting periods at your previous fund, and;
- You are switching within 30 days of your membership ceasing.
- GMHBA receive an acceptable transfer certificate and claims history issued by your previous fund within 14 days of transferring your cover, as required by law.
You will need to serve waiting periods when;
- Your new cover has a benefit that you haven't served a waiting period on.
- Your new policy has an increased benefit on a service. Before you can claim the additional benefit amount, you will need to serve the required waiting period. You can still claim up to your old limit while you wait.
If you increase your level of cover, you will need to serve waits on benefits you have not previously been covered for.
For extras cover, if your annual benefit limit has increased with your new policy, you will also need to serve waits before you can claim up to this new limit. Provided you haven't claimed all of your benefit for the year, you can claim straight away up to your previous limit.
For example, if you had a $200 physio annual limit on your previous health insurance policy, and your new GMHBA policy limit is $500, you will need to serve a two month waiting period before you can claim the additional $300.
Yes, claims made with your previous fund in this calendar year, will be carried over when you switch to GMHBA. Your remaining extras limits will be adjusted to reflect these claims and will reset on 1 January.
That's okay. You can join and choose the cover start date that works for you. We can organise for continuity of your cover, so you don't have any gaps in your insurance coverage, or you can start your cover today and ask if your previous fund will refund on any premiums you've paid in advance.
Continuity of cover is when you change health insurance providers but your health insurance coverage continues without interruption.
As detailed in questions above, for this to occur you need to be joining GMHBA within 30 days of cancelling your previous cover or we have your transfer certificate within 14 days of switching, joining on a similar cover (with the same annual benefit limits) and have served the applicable waiting perriods.
Your benefits with GMHBA
Make the most of your extras benefits with discounts and offers Australia wide with these retailers.