Published 13 Sep 2022
A nice hearty vegetarian soup which is easy to cook and budget friendly. The bonus is that the leftovers are excellent the next day for lunch. Delicious topped with a little shaved parmesan cheese.
Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 2 x 400 gram tins brown lentils, drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for around 5 minutes until softened.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Then add all the spiced.
- Add zucchini, stock, tomatoes and parsley. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and lentils and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve.