It’s easy to switch to GMHBA Health Insurance
- We can do the paperwork and arrange the transfer
- We recognise any waiting periods served with your current fund
- You will have continuity of cover
- 60 day money back guarantee
How to switch
- Join online, on the phone or visit your local branch
- Enter your previous fund details include health insurer name, membership number and cover type
- No need to contact your previous health fund. With your permission, we can do the paperwork and contact your old health insurer
No re-serving waiting periods
You won’t need to re-serve any waiting periods when;
- You have served all waiting periods with your previous fund
- You are transferring to any equivalent or lower level of cover within 30 days of your membership ceasing with your previous fund
- GMHBA receive an acceptable transfer certificate and claims history issued by your previous fund within 14 days of transferring your cover
Continuity of cover
When transferring from one health insurer to another you will receive continuity of cover. You will be covered for benefit entitlements that you had on your old cover, as long as these services are offered on your new cover. If you have used part or all of your annual benefits with your previous health insurer, GMHBA will adjust your benefits accordingly. For example, if your annual benefit for optical is $200 and you have used $100 with your previous health insurer, this will be carried across to GMHBA. Annual limits are reset on 1 January each year.
To ensure you receive continuity of cover you will need to make sure you switch to GMHBA within 30 days of cancelling your previous policy. This means that you will have continuous private health cover and that you can transfer any waiting periods already served with your previous insurer.
If your new cover with GMHBA provides higher benefits or covers you for services not covered by your previous cover you’ll be regarded as a new member for those higher benefits.
If you transfer to GMHBA before completing your waiting periods you’ll need to serve the balance remaining with GMHBA.
Switching and annual limits
If you have used part or all of your annual limits with your previous heath fund, GMHBA will adjust your benefits accordingly. For example, if your annual benefit for physiotherapy is $150 and you have used $100 with your previous health fund, this will be carried across to GMHBA. Annual limits are reset on 1 January each year.
If you have any other questions about switching please do not hesitate to contact us.
Obtaining a transfer certificate
When you join GMHBA you can provide us with the authority to contact your previous health insurer. We will confirm the cancellation of your health cover with your previous health insurer and request they send us a transfer certificate on the day your GMHBA policy commences.
Your previous health insurer is required by government legislation to comply with our request and provide a transfer certificate within 14 days.Get Started