GMHBA with Kieser
Providing home physiotherapy and strength training to help our members be healthier at home
Our partnership with Kieser has enabled many of our members to access the physiotherapy care they need during the pandemic. We’re excited to let you know our partnership with Kieser has been extended until 31 March 2021.
This means members with extras cover can continue to access Kieser physiotherapy via telehealth or face-to-face with no out of pocket costs, up to your annual limits.
And don’t forget, all GMHBA members have free access to the Kieser Konnect app, which features video strength and conditioning programs compiled by Kieser physiotherapists to help you manage your health remotely.
Join us for a series of evening webinars throughout October and November, presented by Kieser. Kieser clinician guest speakers will cover a range of topics including exercise for back pain, bone health and osteoporosis.
Kieser Konnect app
All GMHBA members will have access to Kieser Konnect, which features video strength and conditioning programs compiled by Kieser’s physiotherapists, so anyone can follow elements of the program from home. Training at home with Kieser Konnect can help you maintain your strength, cardiovascular fitness and your immune system.
Your program in the app can also be personalised with a program to suit your specific needs if you have a telehealth consultation with a Kieser physiotherapist.
TeleHealth is Kieser’s at-home, video-based version of Physiotherapy. Done in the comfort of one’s own home, Kieser clinicians will provide a thorough assessment, treatment and exercise prescription through an online video service.
Telehealth sessions don’t require any specific equipment. Kieser clinicians will customise the treatment based on the materials the client already has at home.
Physiotherapy delivered via telehealth has shown to be a safe, effective solution. Telehealth safety and efficacy has been demonstrated clearly across a wide range of clinical areas and there is strong evidence that telehealth is effective for musculoskeletal conditions1-2 and in post- surgical rehabilitation3.
Research suggests that rehabilitation for people with chronic conditions is optimised when it is conducted in the home. Skills taught during rehabilitation are more likely to be retained and transferred to everyday activities if taught in the environment in which they will be used. Clients are more likely to adhere to exercises that are tailored to their home environment.
All Kieser clinics are currently open for Physiotherapy and 1:1 Assisted Training sessions. This means that Kieser Telehealth services can seamlessly transfer to in-clinic services for those clients that are able to attend a face-to-face session.
1 Cottrell M., Galea O., O'Leary S., Hill A., Russell T. Real-time telerehabilitation for the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions is effective and comparable to standard practice: a systematic review & meta-analysis. Clin. Rehabil. 2016;31(5):625–638. doi: 10.1177/0269215516645148.
2 Dario A.B., Moreti Cabral A., Almeida L., Ferreira M.L., Refshauge K., Simic M. Effectiveness of telehealth-based interventions in the management of non-specific low back pain: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Spine J. 2017;17(9):1342–1351. doi: 10.1016/j. spinee.2017.04.008.
3 Pastora-Bernal JM, Martín-Valero R, Barón-López FJ, Estebanez-Pérez MJ. Evidence of Benefit of Telerehabitation After Orthopedic Surgery: A Systematic Review. J Med Internet Res 2017;19(4):e142
Hear from Kieser clients about their experience.
Cameron Ling's experience with Kieser
GMHBA Ambassador, Cameron Ling, who played nearly 250 games for the Geelong Cats, first attended Kieser for a back injury over three years ago.
Kieser is an innovative and structured 12-week program that integrates the benefits of physiotherapy, rehabilitation and strength training. Kieser offers evidence based and individualised programs, with a network of 270 health professionals throughout Australia.
The key focus is on strengthening the muscles to decrease pain and improve function. Kieser can also support clients with delaying or preventing surgery, or to improve the post-surgical outcomes of those who still proceed to surgery.
GMHBA with Kieser FAQs
- GMHBA members with extras cover can claim benefits for Kieser telehealth or face-to-face physiotherapy consultations with no out of pocket costs, up to your annual limits.
- Benefits for Kieser telehealth services have been extended and will be available until 31 March 2021, however we'll continue to assess the pandemic situation to determine if we need to extend this date
Eligible members will be able to access the GMHBA with Kieser clinical program. To be eligible, you must:
- Have extras cover
- Have a diagnosed chronic musculoskeletal condition, including, but not limited to: osteoarthritis, spinal disc injury, osteoporosis, etc, OR
- Have recurrent or ongoing symptoms for a period of 3-months or more, OR
- Have previously undergone a relevant surgical procedure (such as arthroscope)
All GMHBA members will be able to access the Kieser Konnect app. This includes all members on a policy if there are multiple people on one policy.
- The Kieser Konnect app is the official app created by Kieser Australia to track your training.
- The app includes at-home exercises and features video strength and conditioning programs compiled by Kieser’s physiotherapists, so you can follow the elements of the program from home.
- Training at home using the app can help you maintain your strength, cardiovascular fitness and your immune system.
- If you have had a Kieser physiotherapy consultation, your program in the app can also be personalised with a training program to suit your specific needs.
- You can download the Kieser Konnect app from the App Store on iOS devices, or the Google Play Store for android devices.
- Email access will be enabled for GMHBA members, using the same email address that GMHBA has on file as part of your membership.
- After you download the app onto your device, you will also need to provide the following details:
- First name
- Last name
- Date of Birth
- Member Number
- Initial and subsequent telehealth consultations with Kieser will be $99 per consultation – which comes off your extras annual limits for physiotherapy.
- GMHBA members with extras cover will be able to access Kieser telehealth physiotherapy with no out of pocket costs, up to your annual limits.