Mouth-watering watermelon recipes
When the sun’s out, nothing can beat a sweet and juicy watermelon as a thirst-quencher or a yummy treat! A quintessential summer fruit, watermelon is rich in electrolytes and water content and is just the thing to quench a heat-induced thirst.
The round up on watermelon
A great source of anti-oxidants, watermelon is rich in both vitamins A and C – essential for optimum eye health and increasing immunity against infections respectively. Not only that, watermelon contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of cancer and keep our heart healthy. Plus, at 92% water, it’s an excellent option for hydrating little (and big) people on the go.
If you’re feeling inventive we’ve got some new ideas for how to transform the humble juicy watermelon into a delicious and creative snack.
Breakfast watermelon chia pudding
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup watermelon, diced
- Place chia seeds, vanilla extract and coconut milk into a mason jar. Stir to combine and refrigerate overnight.
- Add diced watermelon when ready to serve. Drizzle with honey.
Watermelicious prawn tacos
A unique, sweeter taco option great for a lunch-time gathering in the sun.
- 20 peeled green prawns
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped birds eye chilli
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- Lime wedges to serve
- Combine olive oil, lime juice and garlic in a bowl. Add prawns and marinate for an hour.
- Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until required.
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high. Once heated add prawns and cook until slightly transparent.
- Serve deconstructed with corn tortillas and lime wedges.
Mouth-watering melon pizza
Looking for something to nibble on that isn’t a hot and cheesy savoury pizza? The watermelon pizza is the simple, no-carb pizza option that sure to satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth!
- Large watermelon slice, keeping original diameter, cut 1inch thick
- Fresh figs, sliced
- 5 slices of proscuitto
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla essence
- ½ cup ricotta
- Fresh mint and healthy seed of choice (e.g. chia or flax) to garnish
- Mix ricotta and vanilla together in a small bowl
- Spread mixture on top of watermelon slice and top with prosciutto, sliced figs, mint and healthy seed of choice
- Drizzle honey on top and cut into slices. Serve immediately.
Watermelon coconutty ice cream
A delicious way to create your own dairy-free ice cream, the best part about this recipe is that no ice cream machine needed! Keeping it simple has never tasted so sweet.
- 1 ½ cups cubed watermelon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 5 large seedless dates
- 2 cups frozen mango pieces, diced
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Blend watermelon, coconut milk, dates and vanilla extract in blender and transfer into a cake pan
- Place in freezer until hardened (3-4 hours)
- Remove and break frozen mixture into chunks and re-blend with added mango pieces until desired consistency
- Transfer to large bowl and freeze for an extra 30 minutes. Ready to serve