We understand that the decision to get private health insurance can be challenging. So many questions: ‘When do I need it?’ and ‘What does it cover?’
On this website we hope to answer all these questions and more. We are here to help you at every step of the way, looking at the specific needs of you and your family to help find the right cover for you.
So let's cover the basics first.
Why hospital cover?
With hospital cover you can:
- Be treated as a private patient
- Have a greater choice of who treats you*
- Have a greater choice about where you are treated*
- Have more choice about when you are treated*
- Lock in your Lifetime Health Cover age
- Have peace of mind knowing you are covered for unexpected medical bills
Why extras cover?
Extras cover provides insurance on the common services Medicare will not cover such as:
- Dental & Orthodontic care to keep your teeth healthy
- Visits to the Physio, Chiropractor or Remedial Massage
- Optical care including glasses or contact lenses
Plus, you can claim on the spot with your GMHBA membership card at more than 26,000 providers nationally.
There are financial benefits too:
Minimise your tax
If your taxable income is over the amount set by the Government, you can avoid paying the extra 1% – 1.5% Medicare Levy Surcharge (depending on your income) by taking out hospital covers for you and your dependants.
Pay less after you turn 31
By taking out hospital cover before the 1st of July after your 31st birthday, you will avoid paying a higher premium. If you join hospital cover after this date, you will pay an extra 2% on the premium for every year you do not have health insurance after you turn 30, up to a total of 70%. See our Lifetime Health Cover Loading page for more information.
* As compared to public patients in a public hospital