Thinking of cancelling your membership?
Talk to one of our representatives about your situation before you cancel your cover. They can guide you through the things to consider, ensure you have the right level of affordable cover and answer any questions.
Having private health insurance protects you and your family so that you have the cover and treatment you require, by a doctor or specialist of your choice when you most need it.
Call us on 1300 446 422.
Things to consider
Before you cancel your health cover altogether here are some things that could be helpful:
- A cover review can give you the confidence you are on the right plan.
- You may be able to suspend your cover due to financial hardship or overseas travel.
- If you cancel your GMHBA Health Insurance cover within 60 days of joining, you will receive a full refund of any premiums received by GMHBA, provided you have not made a claim.
- You may have to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS), an additional tax which Australians need to pay if they are without private health insurance hospital cover and have an annual taxable income over $90,000 as a single or $180,000 as a couple/family.
- Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) could apply. If you took out hospital cover with a private health insurer after the 1st of July following your 31st birthday, you would be paying a 2% Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading on top of your premium for every year you are aged over 30. The Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading is a Government loading on your private hospital cover premiums.
Affordable popular covers
One of our affordable popular covers may better suit your health needs, they are great value for money with Australia-wide cover, perfect for total peace of mind for you and your family.Affordable covers here
Frequently asked Questions
We are committed to customer service.
- Through our personalised approach, we provide more choice and flexibility when it comes to your health of you and your family
- GMHBA is an Australian not for profit health fund with more than 80 years’ experience
- We are proud to be the health insurer of choice for more than 230,000 Australians and we focus on creating value for every community in which we serve
- Mix and match to suit your needs. At GMHBA you can pick from a range of hospital and extras covers to cater for your life stage
- Our range of affordable health covers deliver real value, great benefits and the freedom to see any registered provider Australia wide
- GMHBA is focused on investing in the health and wellbeing of local communities including local sporting groups, health seminars and local festivals
Our range of affordable health covers deliver real value, great benefits and the freedom to choose your own provider.
Value based, not profit based
- We are a not-for-profit organisation and every decision is made with our members in mind
- We are not thinking about the shareholder – we exist solely for our members. This means our focus is on putting more value into our products
GMHBA now provides access to the world-renowned health and wellness program, AIA Vitality.
- AIA Vitality enables participants to understand their health, find ways to improve it and be rewarded for it. It is a world-leading, scientifically-backed health and wellness program which aims to be the catalyst for real change and impact the positive health outcomes of our members.
Anyone with GMHBA extras cover can save 15 - 40% off* all dental treatments performed by a smile.com.au approved dentist.
*These savings may vary between dentists, and this is in addition to your existing GMHBA dental benefits.
Australian Health Service Alliance (AHSA) Medical Gap Agreement
GMHBA is part of the Australian Health Service Alliance, which represents a number of small to medium size private health insurance funds. This means GMHBA can leverage the power of the alliance to implement better financial agreements with private hospitals and day surgeries throughout Australia, which reduces members’ out-of-pockets.
60 Day Money Back Guarantee
If you cancel your GMHBA Health Insurance cover within 60 days of joining, you will receive a full refund of any premiums received by GMHBA, provided you have not made a claim.
Review your cover.
Make sure you are only paying for what you really need. We can assess your cover and see if you are on the right cover for your needs.
We have a range of affordable policies to suit your needs and budget.