Published 27 May 2022
Chicken, Ginger and Lemon Soup
Warm and comforting, this simple but filling chicken, ginger and lemon soup recipe is one to keep handy throughout the cold winter months.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 500 grams skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, celery and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Add stock, water, chilli flakes, salt and chicken. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Test the chicken by taking some out and shredding with 2 forks. It should pull apart, if not, it will need to cook a little longer. If cooked, shred all the chicken, then return to the pot.
- Add spinach and cook for another minute, then add lemon juice.
- Serve topped with freshly chopped coriander. Enjoy!