Each year, all health funds review members’ premiums and make changes to ensure we can keep up with rising health care and medical costs.
GMHBA is a not for profit health fund and every decision is made with our members in mind. We put our members first and work hard to keep premiums affordable, while continuing to add maximum value to our products.
Health insurance premiums go up because health care costs increase year-on-year. Costs are driven by:
- Growing demand on services with more people accessing more services than ever before
- Increased cost of health service delivery with things like new medical technologies and treatments
- An ageing population and people living longer
- Increases in chronic conditions
In the 2019 financial year:
We paid $601m in benefits, this increased by $39m from the previous financial year
For every dollar received in premiums, 86 cents was paid to members in benefits
We paid out $279,061 for a premature newborn, the highest claim for the year
Frequently Asked Questions
Australia’s private health insurance is based on a system of community rating. All members pay the same premium for the same policy and insurers cannot discriminate against members based on health status or claims history. This system is intended to keep health insurance fair and accessible for all Australians.
The industry average is calculated using the figures from all health insurers in every state, across all products. That’s why increases in the premiums of some products will be higher, while others will be lower.
We review the premium of each product individually and make changes based on the type of product (e.g. hospital or extras, level of cover), claiming activities and the state that members live in. These changes are needed to make sure the fund and our products are sustainable and we can keep paying claims.
- Review your cover to make sure you’re only paying for what you’re likely to need. We can help to assess your cover and see if you’re on the right cover for your health needs.
- Make the most of your extras. Check your cover to find out which extras you can claim benefits towards. Then you’ll get better value because you’ll use more of the benefits you’re entitled to.