Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to access Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is available at no extra cost for immediate access by GMHBA members with hospital cover*
How does Best Doctors work?
Call Best Doctors on 1800 667 992.
- Best Doctors will assess your eligibility to access the service. They’ll note your medical history and document any questions you have.
- After your initial call, Best Doctors will mail you an information pack. You’ll need to sign the consent form which allows them to collect your relevant medical information.
- On receipt of your medical records, Best Doctors will identify an appropriate specialist from their worldwide network to review your case.
- The chosen specialist will review your records and proposed treatment plan, and answer any questions you might have.
- Once completed, a report will be sent to you and your local doctor, including the medical credentials of the specialist who has reviewed your case. Prior to sending the report, a medical professional from Best Doctors will call and review the key findings with you.
When would I access the service?
Best Doctors provides you comfort and reassurance when:
- You want to be sure about the medical condition you’re suffering from.
- You need help deciding between treatment options available.
- You may be questioning why your current symptoms don’t seem to be improving.
- You want to be sure that surgery is the only real option.
Who are the experts within the Best Doctors network?
Best Doctors conducts the world’s largest on-going, peer nominated, poll in the medical field and it’s this process that creates its unique global database of 50,000 leading experts. The database covers over 450 sub specialities enabling them to provide highly specialised medical advice.
What about my own doctor?
Best Doctors is a specialist information service, not a clinical service.
Best Doctors will not prescribe treatments, but may suggest options to discuss with your treating doctor.
We encourage you to discuss the details of the report with them.
Will my doctor mind me getting a second opinion?
Best Doctors is a third party who will keep your medical information completely confidential. Best Doctors helps you and your medical team by offering a case review from doctors with world class expertise and research capabilities.
A second opinion isn’t trying to discredit your doctor or find fault it their original diagnosis. For many, the results Best Doctors report simply confirm and reinforce your own doctor’s findings, giving you peace of mind. Sharing the Best Doctors findings with your doctor and working with them in your treatment creates a stronger bond of confidence for treatment and decisions.
Which medical conditions are covered by this service?
Most medical conditions of concern to you, having already been assessed and investigated by your doctor.
When are you not covered by this service?
You will not be able to access the service for:
- mental health conditions;
- a condition you are already in hospital for;
- a condition for which you have not already undertaken an initial consultation with a doctor.
Are there any costs associated with this service?
No. There is no charge for GMHBA members eligible to access Best Doctors.
Do you need to visit the specialist reviewing your case?
No. You can access Best Doctors from the comfort of your own home.
Who are Best Doctors?
Best Doctors was founded by doctors from the Harvard Medical School in 1989. This organisation now helps people in over 30 countries around the world achieve better medical understanding, including the USA, UK and Canada.
Will the report only discuss treatment options available under my current cover?
No. Best Doctors do not have information on your GMHAB Health Insurance cover.
The report provided may discuss a treatment option which may not be available in Australia, or not covered under your hospital policy.
It is best to discuss the Best Doctors findings with your own Doctor.
GMHBA products do not cover treatments provided outside Australia. We recommend you contact GMHBA prior to undergoing any treatment.
Is there any other important information I need to be aware of?
Best Doctors and Best Doctors are not accident, illness or injury insurance. Nor will it replace your relationship with your current doctor or medical specialist.
GMHBA has engaged Best Doctors to offer this as an additional service for our eligible members.
Information about the history of Best Doctors and choice of specialists was sourced from Best Doctors.
*Best Doctors is available to all GMHBA Hospital members excluding FIT products Copyright 1998-2011 Best Doctors. All Rights Reserved. Best Doctors, the star-in-cross logo and InterConsultation are trademarks, or registered trademarks, of Best Doctors in the European Community, the United States, and in other countries and are used under license.