Switching to GMHBA from another health fund may be easier than you think. Not only is it a simple process, but we can help make sure that you aren't left without cover for any period of time, or have to re-serve any waiting periods.
How to switch
Start by getting a quote
- Enter your personal details in the online sign up and select that you are switching from another health insurer.
- Enter your previous fund details include health insurer name, membership number and cover type.
- You don’t need to contact your previous health fund – we can do that on your behalf. When you join, all you have to do is consent for GMHBA to cancel your policy.
Switching and waiting periods
You won’t need to re-serve any waiting periods when;
- You have served all waiting and benefit limitation periods with your previous fund.
- You are transferring to any equivalent or lower level of cover within 30 days of your membership ceasing with your previous fund.
- You provide GMHBA with an acceptable transfer certificate and claims history issued by your previous fund within seven days of transferring your cover.
How do I obtain a Transfer Certificate?
You can either contact your fund and ask for a transfer certificate when you terminate your cover, or provide GMHBA with your previous fund details on your application form and we will obtain a copy of your Transfer Certificate.
When waiting periods may apply
If your new cover with GMHBA provides higher benefits or covers you for services not covered by your previous fund you’ll be regarded as a new member for those higher benefits. If you transfer to GMHBA before completing your waiting periods you’ll need to serve the balance remaining with GMHBA.
Switching and annual limits
If you have used part or all of your annual limits with your previous heath fund, GMHBA will adjust your benefits accordingly. For example, if your annual benefit for physiotherapy is $150 and you have used $100 with your previous health fund, this will be carried across to GMHBA. Annual limits are reset on 1 January each year.
If you have any other questions about switching please do not hesitate to visit one of our branches or phone us on 1300 446 422 Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm (AEST). One of our friendly staff will help you with your questions.