Board of Directors
Kenneth E. Jarvis
- OAM, KSJ, B App. Sc (Hons),dip OR.
- Director since 2004
- Chairman Nomination & Remuneration Committee
- Member Audit & compliance Committee
- Member Strategy Committee
- Executive chairman – Aerolite Quarries Pty Ltd
- Executive chairman – Jakape Pty Ltd
- Chairman – Victorian Regional channels Authority
- Director – Gordon TAFE Ltd (until July 2012)
- Director – Aviation Australia development Ltd
James E. Walsh
- B.com, MBA, FcA, MAicd.
- Director since 2005
- Deputy Chairman
- Chairman Strategy Committee (since July 2011)
- Member Audit & compliance Committee
- Chartered Accountant
- Director – Godfrey Hirst Australia Pty Ltd
- Director – The Geelong Chamber of Commerce
- BA, LLB. GAicd.
- Director since 2007
- Chair Audit & Compliance Committee
- Member Health Services Committee Lawyer
- Director – The Geelong College Ltd
- Partner - MacGillivrays Solicitors (until July 2012)
- RN, MBA, MAicd, FcdA.
- Director since 2009
- Chair Health Services Committee
- Member Nomination & Remuneration Committee
- Member Investment Committee
- Managing Director – Intuitively Focussed p/l
- Chairman – Monash centre for Green chemicals Future
- Chairman – Clayton Bio Medical Imaging Laboratories
- Chairman – Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
- Director – General Practice (Vic)
Brian G. Benger
- AdvDip Fin Services (Superannuation) FAICD
- Director since 2011
- Chairman Investment Committee
- Member Strategy Committee
- Chairman – FABAL Group
- Member – Future Fund Advisory Board, The Oaktree Foundation
- Director – Victorian Managed Insurance Authority
- Chairman of Mercer Financial Advice (Australia) Ltd
- Director of Mercer Superannuation (Australia) Ltd
- Director of Mercer Investments (Australia) Ltd
- Director – BARIK Pty Ltd (since May 2012)
- BE, MBA, MAICD
- Appointed Director November 2011
- Member – Investment Committee
- Member – Strategy Committee
- Director – Currant Marketing Pty Ltd
- Deputy Chair – Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
- Director – eftpos Payments Australia Limited
Marie M. Bismark
- MBChB LLB MBHL MPH FAFPHM MAICD
- Director since 2013
- Member Health Services Committee
- Member Audit & Compliance Committee
- Director - Dispute Resolution Services
- Director - The Young and Well CRC
- Director - Family Planning
GMHBA Executive Team
Mark Valena is an experienced Business Executive. He came to the helm at GMHBA in early 2008 following seven years as the CEO of Medical Defence Association Victoria. MDAV was Victoria’s largest medical professional indemnity insurer (with an 18% national market share) and as a not-for- profit organisation, in a highly regulated insurance market operating in the health sector, provided a sound experience base for his current role at GMHBA. Mark has significant experience in the negotiation and implementation of mergers and business transitions at MDAV, NRMA and Fortis Insurance. Through these transitions Mark was able to create an environment of goodwill and navigate through many complex agendas leading to retention of members and employees. Mark is an Australian Chartered Accountant who has a Bachelor of Business and a Graduate Certificate in Innovation & Service Management.
Michael Carroll is a Business Executive with over 27 years experience. He is responsible for the Compliance and Risk Management of GMHBA including supervision of the Company’s Investments. His role at GMHBA also incorporates that of company Secretariat. Michael is accredited with a Bachelor of Business (Accounting) from Swinburne University, he is a Certified Practicing Accountant, has completed his MBA at Deakin University in 2004 and in 2007 completed a Graduate Diploma in Applied Corporate Governance with Chartered Secretaries Australia.
Jacqueline is a successful sales and service professional with 30 years’ experience across Australia and Asia. With over 6 years’ experience at GMHBA, Jacqueline’s success can be attributed to her ability to develop both strategic and tactical solutions to achieve sales targets as well as improve quality, productivity and customer satisfaction. This ensures customers’ expectations are consistently met and often exceeded.
General Manager, Health, Wellbeing and Provider Relations
James Arnott is a Business Executive with over 20 years experience. His business unit is responsible for health and wellbeing, benefits management, claims audit and provider relations. James previously worked with Caulfield General Medical Centre and The Alfred Hospital for over 13 years where he was responsible for a diverse group of services. James has a Diploma of Applied Science from Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences, a Bachelor of Prosthetics and Orthotics from LaTrobe University, and an MBA from the University of NSW. James is also a member of the Executive Committee of the G21 Health and Wellbeing Pillar.
Frank Health Insurance General Manager
Troy is a Business Executive with over 12 years’ experience in the private health insurance industry. Troy was appointed General Manager of Frank Health Insurance in 2009 prior to its launch. Frank is a unique online only brand that prides itself on being different to the rest of the industry and has grown to be one of GMHBA’s most successful acquisition channels. Troy specialises in online marketing and product development for e-commerce business models. He has a wealth of experience in operational, technical and marketing roles within GMHBA, and was responsible for the organisation’s business information systems prior to taking on the Frank Health Insurance GM role. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce from Deakin University.
Tim is a Human Resource practitioner with over 17 years experience in HR generalist roles and has specialist skills in Learning and Development and Organisational Development functions. Tim has had a long career in Automotive Development, in roles ranging from HR consultancy, Learning and Organisational Development and international experience in the Asia Pacific region. Tim’s experience in Asia Pacific has developed an ability to understand organisational cultures and build relationships based on trust and respect.
Tim and his team provide a comprehensive range of HR services at GMHBA. Tim describes HR’s main purpose as aligning an organisations culture with its strategic direction.
Tim is responsible for leading GMHBA’s Finance function and diversification activities. Tim has both professional services and corporate experience, bringing to our team, a strong financial and analytical focus. Tim is an experienced finance professional and has over 20 years experience in financial services, leading teams in Melbourne, Sydney and London. Tim has significant experience working with complex financial institutions, focusing on improving financial and operational performance and governance in highly regulated environments. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce and is a Chartered Accountant.
Head of Information Systems
Paul is responsible for leading the Information Systems, IT and Web division at GMHBA. A recognised leader, Paul has 15 years experience in leading technical teams delivering high performing business solutions that are aligned to business goals. In his 4 years at GMHBA, Paul has built a responsive Information Systems department that has seen substantial improvement to business systems and infrastructure while creating a strong service culture. Paul holds a Bachelor of Computer Systems Engineering from RMIT.